Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ode to Suckys

As we've finally be-rid ourselves of the precious sucky, I thought I'd swipe my friend Lori's idea and pay a tribute to them here. Haylee (yes, I'm talking about Haylee, not McKay) has finally given up the sucky, as we call it. Although not by choice by any means. She absolutely loves her sucky. She doesn't have any other lovey, but she does adore her sucky. She's totally addicted. I kept hoping she'd give it up on her own, but no suck luck. It's now day four of no suckys, and she's still not toally convinced that they're not coming back. She keeps asking for it at nap and bedtime (the only times she used it.) We decided to just go cold turkey the day after her third birthday (we decided it would be easiest to be able to tell her three year olds were big girls and didn't use suckys) (day after because we didn't want to ruin her birthday). She wouldn't take a nap, but I laid down with her at bed time and 'taught' her how to go to sleep without a sucky, and she actually did! Amazing! I'm sad to see it go, because it means my baby girl really isn't a baby anymore.

Like Lori, I thought I'd post some of my favorite sucky moments:

















And the very last picture of Haylee with her sucky. Goodnight my little sucky girl.

4 comments:

Herlehy Family said...

Great job! I would like to get ride of Carson's but he is liking his a bit more than the other boys, we are now just using it in his crib to go to sleep.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

hHow did it go? I tried to help Heidi give hers up last month. We had a party, sang songs, ate cupcakes, and she tossed them all in the trash. Then she started to scream. At 3:15 I gave up. Hope your experience was much better!

Jen said...

We took Dawson's away by 18 months at Taya's at 12 months before they get too addicted. Holden's will be gone at 12. I was just telling him yesterday to live it up! Cold Turkey is the best way - she will move on (hopefully :)

Laurie said...

Beware...Jonah was a paci addict too. We took his away at a little over a year and when Rebekah was born (a year after he had them taken away) he would steal them, hide them under my bed and run off for a fix. Good luck!